I shared a few days ago that my word for 2013 is Change. One of the main things I want to change about myself is my materialism. I used to be able to honestly say I wasn't a materialistic person, but lately that's not true. While I honestly don't place a lot of value in things, I have started to get a little out of hand with buying things- specifically clothes, jewelry and accessories. I really like clothes, and it's fun to shop for cute new things. But, it's gotten out of hand. I've started to spend too much money on clothes that could be used in much more responsible ways, and mostly, I've got way too many taking up way to much room!
So, one major change I'm making for 2013 is not buying these things. At all. Well, there are a few exceptions:
1) Pregnancy- if I get pregnant, I will be buying some maternity clothes. After two pregnancies very close together if I never see my current maternity clothes again it will be too soon.
2) Weight Loss- I'm really hoping to go down a few pants sizes this year. If this happens I'll buy a MINIMAL amount of pants to get through- like maybe a few pairs of jeans and shorts as opposed to every single color of the rainbow of skinny jeans.
2) Work- There are some specific things with thirty-one that I'll probably need new clothes for- National Conference will require me to have team t-shirts and I'll obviously need to have one- and the FREE trip I've almost earned to the Dominican Republic! I will give myself some grace here and allow some new beachy clothes/swimwear.
3) Necessity- I know this seems broad, but I plan to take it really seriously. One immediate thing that comes to mind is that last summer I threw away ALL of my flip-flops because they were just worn out. I'll need to replace them with a few pairs when they're for sale again. Also, hello, I might need some new undergarments. No biggie.
4) Gifts- OBVIOUSLY I'll still accept gifts of these items, and I have some giftcards from Christmas that I fully plan to use! :)
5) Swaps- I'm really hoping to set up a big clothing swap with some friends and acquaintances, so that will be fun to get some new to me items for free. I think this is acceptable because I'll be swapping out for items I don't wear.
One of my FAVORITE blogs is Pinterest Told Me To and I was really motivated to put this into words after reading a guest post on her blog from Sarah at Tucker Up. If you're interested in reading Sarah's post that inspired me it's here.
Wish me luck! I'm excited to see what new outfits I can come up with using what I have. :)